Sunday, November 17, 2013

Labor & Delivery Rotation Week

Learning Report
What were your responsibilities or duties this week?
My duties this week was to observe the nurses and employees in the labor and delivery department and learn the procedures that take place during labor. I followed several nurses and observed how they interact with patients and take care of their patients needs. I was to observe prepartum  and postpartum delivery and learn how the procedures take place. By observing and following the employees I was to learn how the nurses ensure both the health of the baby and the mother. Although I was not in the area in the perfect time and was not able to see an actual birth I was able to see how the nurses take care of their patients before and after the birth.
What new knowledge or skill did you learn this week?
This week I learned a lot about the procedures before birth and the role of nurses before and after the delivery. I was able to learn about the medicine that the patients are given, such as pain relieving medicine and Oxytocin to increase contractions along with other medicine. On the first day there were only a couple of patients and they had all delivered earlier that day, and I learned that after the birth the patients usually take care of themselves. I followed a nurse throughout the department and learned that the blood collection tubes have an expiration date. By following her around looking at the tubes I was able to see most of the department and ask her questions despite the day not being busy. I got to see the c-section delivery rooms and the nursery which I learned a lot about. I learned how slow the delivery process can be yet it is crucial to check often on the patient to avoid any complications. 
What was the best thing that happened at the unpaid work-based learning site this week?
The best thing that happened this week was being able to follow a specific nurse as she was very informative and friendly. She had a patient that allowed me to see the nurse administer her drugs and check on her process. Through this experience I learned a lot about the department and careers within the area by observing and asking questions. I was able to understand more about the drugs and medicine administered such as Oxytocin and was able to learn procedures and tasks done by the employees. 
What was the worst thing that happened at the unpaid work-based learning site this week?
The worst thing that happened was following a nurse into every room to look at the expiration date on blood tubes. It was not exciting and awkward as I just watched her look at tubes. However I made the best of my situation and interacted with the nurse and ask various questions regarding the department and her career. 
This week was: Fair
Why? 
I had high expectations for the department as I was interested in pursuing this type of career and I was no able to see a lot of things. However I was able to interact with the employees and learn a lot through questions rather than physically observing procedures. I had bad timing as I arrived too late to see the nurse take care of a baby and left too early to see a delivery. However I did not lose interest in the department and I am still interested in the career. I enjoyed this week and liked the employees and was able to make the best of the situations.




Experience Record 
Technology observed:
  • Vital Sign Monitor
  • Contraction Monitor
  • C-section delivery room technology
  • Fetal heart monitor
  • Baby monitoring station
Diagnostic procedures observed:

  • Vital signs
  • Contraction monitoring
  • Ultrasound
  • Blood test
Therapeutic procedures observed:
  • Positioning the patient
  • Allowing the patient to walk
  • Medicine
  • Ice
  • Bathing
  • Liquids
  • Epidural
Disease/disorders observed:
  • High Blood Pressure
  • Preterm labor
Medical terminology/abbreviations encountered:
  • Cesaren
  • Breached
  • Oxytocin
  • IV
  • Contractions
  • Dilated 
  • Epidural
  • Fetal
  • Umbilical Cord
  • Postpartum
  • Preterm
  • Placenta
  • Nubain
  • Nursery, surgery, ER
  • Induced labor
  • Fetal distress
  • Perineum
Other Observed:

  • Interaction with patients
  • Blood test tubes
  • C-Section surgical rooms 
  • Medicine and drugs
  • Employee teamwork

Experience Journal


  1. The Labor & Delivery department is very quiet and homely with individual rooms surrounding the nurses station. Each patient room is very relaxing and calming making the patients feel at home. The walls are decorated with family pictures and inspirational quotes. This department feels the least  hospital-like and more welcoming. There are several on call nurses that are available 24-7 for the patients. The nurses take care of the patient throughout the delivery including before and after. By monitoring stations such as vitals and fetal heart beat and contractions the nurses check often on their patients and prevent any complications. The department is stocked with all the necessary medicine and is able to communicate with other departments. They have everything ready before hand including the baby's bed and all equipment to help get the baby ready and to help the mother after the birth. The nurses were very caring and considerate and listened to their patients. 
  2. The nurses were very active and checked on their patients often. The monitored contractions and heart beat and ensured to prevent any complications. They were ready for anything and were quick on their feet. They worked well together and had strong teamwork. The were all very skilled and informed about their career and did a great job helping their patients. The majority of the employees were friendly and caring as they interacted with everyone as well as the patient and met everyone's needs. They ensured their patient was comfortable and relatively pain free. The successfully monitored the baby and the mother and gave medicine accordingly. They were friendly and talkative to the patients and calmed the patient and provided a safe environment. 
  3. This week I learned a lot about labor and delivery and the careers aspects as well. I learned about the care before and after delivery and the procedures that take place. I was able to ask various questions and learn a lot of new knowledge. I learned a lot about the drugs and medicine and was able to observe the nurse administer them. I also saw the monitoring of contractions and the fetal heart beat and learned what to look for and the abnormalities that could occur and the following procedures that would take place. I heard a lot of medical terminology that is sure to help me in the future as well as the knowledge of what to look for during labor. I was able to learn the unpredictability that happens in the department and the type of employee that is needed. I also learned a lot about the careers regarding the department and the necessary qualifications and qualities necessary to have this career. 
  4. This week I felt I did the best in my situations and made the best out of it. I asked many questions and learned a lot about the department. I did not lose any interest in the possibility of working in this area and even gained some interest. I enjoyed what I was able to see and feel as though what I was able to observe will help me in the future. I learned that there is many possibilities in this department and learned that that is something I would enjoy. By observing the employees I learned that I would enjoy their kind of career. I knew I was always interested in this department and I came out of this week more intrigued and interested to pursue this area of the hospital. 



LTC

This week I was in the rehab area and was able to interact with 
rehab residents. I talk to several residents and learned about their life and their family. I talked a long time with one man and enjoyed learning about his family and navy life. I ask many questions and interacted well with the residents. At one time we helped a couple move out and helped take their luggage to their car. I enjoyed helping the residents and talking to them. Many residents were sleeping in their rooms or not in their rooms at all so we made the best of the situation and stayed longer in several rooms and engaged in conversation with many nice and friendly residents. I enjoyed this week and look forward to finding and talking to the same people next week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment