Saturday, November 2, 2013

OR Rotation Week

Learning Report
What were your responsibilities or duties this week?
My duties this week were to observe the OR's procedures and observe surgeries. I was to understand the steps in preparing the OR and setting up for different surgeries. I engaged with a surgeon and observe his technique and asked questions and answers his during the procedure. I saw how patients are transported from the table to their bed and from the OR to the PACU. I observed patients recovering after their anesthesia wore off and the results of the surgeries. I was to learned how the operating department works and functions.
What new knowledge or skill did you learn this week?
This week I learned how the department functions daily and how the OR is prepared for each surgery. I learned how patients react after anesthesia and the possible outcomes of different surgeries. I learned about different types of medication and drugs and how each type is used for different purposes. I observe an anesthesiologist monitor the patient during surgery and administer the medication to them. I learned a lot about the colon through the surgeon performing an colonoscopy. I learned how common colon cancer is and how often one should receive a colonoscopy. The surgeon taught us a lot about the procedure and the intestines. I also observed the PACU post operative nurses and how they monitor and help the patients.
What was the best thing that happened at the unpaid work-based learning site this week?
The best thing that happened this week was when we were able to observe a colonoscopy and the surgeon was interactive and talkative. I was able to observe the procedure and see the screen while the surgeon described what he was doing and how the procedure works. I learned a lot about the intestines and how important the procedure is. 
What was the worst thing that happened at the unpaid work-based learning site this week?
The worst thing that happened this week was our timing. We came between two surgeries and the department was slow during our observing time. We came too late and only saw the end of a cyst removal as the surgeon dressed the area. We observed and interacting more in the PACU that the OR, however we still learned a lot of skills and information that was interesting and important.

This week was: Good
Why?
This week was good in that we were able to observe a few procedures and the surgeon was very informative and interactive. Despite having bad timing, we were able to make the best out of our time and were able to observe various procedures and employees. 
Experience Record 
Technology observed:
  • Vital sign monitors
  • X-Ray Machine
  • Anesthetic machine/equipment
  •  OR table
  • Medical camera, monitor and machine
  • Instruments- scalpels
  • Portable oxygen
  • Sterile Field  


Diagnostic procedures observed:
  • Vital Signs
  • Past surgical history questioning
  • Medical Chart
  • Blood Test


Therapeutic procedures observed:
  • Anesthesia
  • Pain Medicine
  • Drugs
  • Oxygen
  • Positioning of the patient
  • Hydration


Disease/disorders observed:
  • Cyst
  • Hemorrhoids
  • Cancer 


Medical terminology/abbreviations encountered:
  • Colon, intestines, stomach, appendix
  • Tightness, pain
  • Hemorrhoids
  • Cancer
  • Body cavities and body planes
  • Large & small intestine, duodenum, ileum
  • PACU/OR/ER/BP


Other Observed:
(Surgeries Observed):
  • Colonoscopy 
  • Inserting a portacath
  • Cyst Removal



Experience Journal

  1. The OR department is very organized and structured. There is clear sterile areas and sanitation is an important process throughout the department. There are several operating rooms that are all stored with necessary equipment and tools. The area is a critical department and it is important to remain organized. The PACU is very close by and the layout makes and easy and simple transition from area to area. There are many employees in this department all being different levels of workers such as nurses, techs, surgeons and anesthesiologists. Some of the employees are friendly and interactive yet some are quiet and more concerned about themselves. However everyone was nice and helpful. The OR contains a lot of important and impressive technology all of which is crucial in each operation. Vitals sign monitors are always used and are a key concept in checking how the patient is doing. The anesthesiologist is in charge of the majority of the technology and is very skill with the equipment. The OR is used to help, prevent, treat and diagnose patients disorders or diseases. It is very important in saving lives and helping patients become health. The patients are well taken care of and are in good hands.
  2. The employees were quiet only because it wasn't a busy day. However when something needed to get done they all had strong communication skills and problem solving skills. They work well together and rely on each other. Their first priority is always the patient and most of the employees are friendly and kind to their patient before, during and after their surgery. Surgery is quite laid back as the employee talk to each other, however they are focused and skilled during the procedure. The employees are helpful and informative to those around them and work together to give the best health care they can give. 
  3. This week I learned a lot about how the OR functions and the importance of the OR. One surgeon was very talkative and informative during a colonoscopy and I learned a lot about the intestines, the colon, and cancer. He taught us about how the procedure works, why it is needed and how often and when it should be done. I was a very nice and intelligent employee and I learned a lot by just watching and observing. However I did communicate and ask as well as answer questions. I was able to spend time in the PACU and learned about the medicine that patients receive and the effects after surgery. The OR uses body planes and cavities and a lot of medical terminology, some I knew before and some I learned. I learned that every person in the operating room is important and has their specified job to do. I enjoyed observing and gained a lot of knew knowledge about the department.
  4. This week I felt as though I did a good job communicating and asking questions to the employees. I felt that I got out the best that I could given the circumstances and I learned a lot of information. I learned that the OR does not make me freak out nor make me queasy and that I have the strength to see not nice things and be able to handle it. The smell did not bother me as I expected it to as well as the blood and other body fluids. Though the OR was not what I expected I learned that I liked the department and I have benefited in many ways. I now know how the OR works and how important it is for patients. 

LTC

This week, I was in the activities room and we "baked" cookies. I have found out that we are not the best bakers. However, the cookies did taste better than they looked and the residents liked them and that is all that matters. Some of the residents are really sweet and friendly. They can be very funny and they enjoy our company. It was hard to communicate with all of the residents but we tried our best to talk to them and have them interact with us when we were baking. The residents seem to enjoy the activity room as it keeps them stimulated and interactive. It is a good thing when they come because it keeps them active and involved. I enjoyed this week and look forward to the next time in the activity room.



No comments:

Post a Comment