Sunday, May 18, 2014

Lab Rotation Week


Journal

Assessment of the Environment

The lab is divided into several areas all having various jobs. The entrance is where the rest of the hospital sends items to the lab with the tube machine. Past the entrance is an area split into two sides, one for blood and urine tests and another for drug testing or further tests needed. The technician receive the items from the rest of the hospital and test is accordingly and verify the results on the computers. CBC's and urine analysis are performed with high-tech machines but often the result must be check using old techniques by the employee using a microscope. There was two of every machine because if one breaks the hospital can keep smoothly running or if the other one needs cleaning there is another one to do the job. The machines are very large and impressive. They are usually quick and easy to use depending on the test needed. To the right of this area are smaller labs including a blood bank and a pathology lab. The pathology lab is equipped with several machines used for different tests, many microscopes with slides, and a work area for slicing and measuring the items brought in. The entire lab is well organized and highly technical. 

Observation

At first many of the employee were not busy, but eventually they had tasks to do. One employee would bring the blood or urine to the techs and they would follow with the appropriate test. They are all very efficient in communication and seem to be happy and have fun. Everyone I saw wore gloves and avoid touching any of the items, they used proper safety procedures as well as cleaning procedures. The tests they provide are vital for patients and can help save lives. The tests from the ER are almost always STAT and are important for the doctors to treat patients accordingly. The lab employee understand this and do their job very well and efficiently.


Knowledge

I saw a lot this rotation and learn a lot of new knowledge. I was able to see a CBC test and a urine analysis and see the tech use a microscope to confirm the test, which she let me look. She also showed me how to properly make a slide for a blood test and how the dye helps the test see the different cells. She explained very well the different cells and the normal ranges. Another tech showed me a drug test and how the machines work and the different tests that they can perform. He explained his job and his career and gave me a lot of insight in the careers in a lab. My favorite part, where I learned the most, was the pathology lab where I saw the pathologist slice and examine various organs and tissues. He showed me the different stitches surgeons use and how they remove certain organs during surgery. A patient had her uterus removed after delivery and I was able to see how the pathologist examines it to see the cause behind the excessive bleeding and cuts certain areas to create slides to be further examined in the future. I also saw various placentas and umbilical cords and compared healthy and unhealthy ones which I learned a lot as he explained the different components of placenta and how there are three vessels that connects to the baby. He specializes in human development and share a lot of the information he knows and also showed me many very interesting pictures of fetuses and the development stages. Before I left he showed me a colon that was removed and showed me in detail the pain that was caused because of the problems within the colon. I learned a lot by observing as well as the pathologist explaining his actions and giving me a lot of insight in different organs as well as his career and his colleagues. I really enjoyed this area and learned so much that I have became more interested in pathology.



Evaluation

When I first arrived nothing was going on and everyone said there was nothing for me to see. As I was about to leave, blood and urine samples started arriving and a very nice technician allowed be to observe her. Then she sent me to another technician where I saw drug testing and learned a lot and he eventually sent me to the pathology lab where I had an amazing time. Through this, I learned not to jump to conclusions and give up. I eventually became for comfortable and began to ask questions and interact better. I was shy at first but after a while I loosened up and learned a lot. Once I got into the pathology lab I was amazed and so interested that I wasn't shy at all and learned a lot. This rotation I would say has been one of the best I have had and the most influential in my future. I have for a long time been interested in pathology but have been changing my mind lately; this week has shown me why I enjoy pathology and allowed me to see a future in the career. 



No comments:

Post a Comment