Thursday, May 29, 2014

Physical Therapy Rotation

Journal 

Assessment of the environment 

PT is located away from the hospital and works as it's own medical business. It is similar to most PTs where it has a large space, multiple benches, workout equipment, therapy equipment and other necessities. However it also has a room for speech therapy and a pool. It is very quiet and organized. I noticed that each employee tended to have a specialization in therapy, such as one man helped mainly back patients, a women helped hands, one helped legs, and one helped upper body. The purpose of this area is the restore patients after accidents or surgery and help relieve pain. I was unable to see the speech therapist but they help people improve their speech. Most of the equipment is used daily and it all is a main source of rehabilitation. Each patient has individual requirements depending on their needs and they use different equipment. Counting, taking a break, and ice/heat is used almost all the time. This area is crucial for a patients recovery and it was nice and friendly place to visit.

Observation

At PT there are several people, receptionists, therapists, each specializing in different types of therapy, and others who help the patients. The area is relaxing and friendly as they all get along and help each other. I saw many employees give a hand or some advise. They often laugh a lot which I found was good because the patients felt more comfortable. They all followed cleaning procedures as they wiped down all equipment between use and did not reuse certain equipment on patients. The therapists I found, have the best bond with their patients compared to the rest of the hospital and they seemed more relaxed. They utilized their time, environment, and resources. They were all talented and skill in helping patients. Also they enjoyed helping their patients which I find is an important part in ones career. 

Knowledge 

This week I saw many therapeutic techniques various times with different patients. It was interesting to see how each patients responded differently and how common certain things are. Many of the hospital patients are at PT which shows how important it is. I saw one therapist remove ditches and analyze a patients hand. I saw multiple times the use of the ultrasound which explained how helpful it is. I was able to learn many patients stories and see how the therapists engage with their patients. Each patients had their own level as I saw healthy and young patients but also older, unfit patients. It was also interesting to realize that the majority of the patients with back or leg problems tended to be overweight. I learned the importance of therapy and how helpful it is to patients.

Evaluation

I fell that this week I did not do as we'll as I could have, I didn't not interact enough nor did I ask many questions. I felt a little awkward and did not know what questions to ask. I did not want to interrupt the conversations and felt intrusive. However I did learn a lot and took advantage of my time. The importance of PT was brought to my attention and in the future in my medical career I will always keep it in mind. I learned I need to feel more comfortable and try to engage more. I am proud of how I have changed throughout clinical rotations but this week was not a good representation of how I have grown. I hope that my future is influenced by this week. I learned about the different careers and how each patient needs their own treatment. I am grateful for what I have learned. 













No comments:

Post a Comment